Saturday, October 15, 2016

Another call to duty

It’s another one of those weekends – as duty officer. Due to a strange scheduling quirk, I had to man the phone again. I took over as being the one who scheduled it, and there was a snafu in early November done by the previous person and to fix it, I had to take over a shift this week. Sadly, there was another snafu over Thanksgiving week and I’m doing it again.

Anyway, I knew I got off fairly easy last time and would be in for some of the regular stuff we get this time around, and I was right. Scams are big here, and I’ve had two of them. They were fairly similar.

The first one was some woman who told me her fiancé had come to Istanbul in May for a two-week job on an oil rig in the Black Sea with 200 other people, 50 Americans and 150 Turks. Something about not having proper equipment and wiring a total of $450k (it was unclear as to if it was her money or his; she said it was “from his foundation account.”)  Then something about an inspection and not being allowed to leave the oil rig, followed by a song-and-dance about the 50 men (of whom fiancé was in charge of) not being able to leave, something something. Basically it came down to her having to come up with money to get them all home. She’d just sent her last $1400 or something like that. Another wife, with whom she allegedly was emailing, complained to the company and then “they cut off all the food to all the men.”

Doesn’t sound fishy at all, does it? Holy cow. Red flags all over the place. I asked the fiance’s name and she gave me a very common name, saying he was from Jacksonville. I asked his passport number. No clue. Names of his employees? No idea. Name of his employer? He was a contractor, so there wasn’t one.  The thing was beyond insane. She told me about a General Somebody Somebody who was “in charge of sending U.S. troops to Iraq” … yeah, right. He had a phone she couldn’t call but only text to. And this sounded legitimate to her.

So I did my due diligence and reported it, to which it came back scam. The person I reported it to asked me if I’d asked the big scam question, which is, “Have you met this individual in person?” I knew that, but I couldn’t bring myself to ask if she’d met the man she called her finace. I mean, WHO is engaged to someone they haven’t touched? Well…

Upon follow-up by email, I asked that very question and she declined to answer it. I also asked for his full name and she came back and added a middle initial. I replied to the email and asked for her fiance’s middle name and date of birth, adding that without further information it sounded like a scam. I haven’t heard from her since.

Last night, I had a similar one, but this was a woman calling about her husband, whom she assured me she did put him on the plane herself. But like the first one, he’d come over in May for something short and as of September some other wrinkle appeared and then all of a sudden, at 9:30 p.m. on a Friday night, she called with a whopper of a tale. These things are so implausible that I really feel like I’m the target instead of the person calling.

This one believes that her husband has been arrested and that the police are emailing and texting her to send them money. It’s like no, they do not do that. What they would do, however, is call us. And in the month that has lapsed since you believe this occurred, they have not called us.

In the course of trying to figure this out, I learned that the man was 72 years old – a bit old to travel for an engineering gig – and the wife had absolutely no idea of his passport number, his employer, his flight information or the hotel he allegedly stayed at for two months. She didn’t have a voice phone number for him, but had a number of a burner phone used just for texting. I tried to find out when the last time she spoke to him and she kept saying she’d been texting. I was like, uh, anyone can pretend to be anyone on a text – when did you last speak to him? She had no idea.

Seriously people, please travel smart. Leave a copy of your passport with somebody. Give your itinerary to someone. And if your loved one is traveling for, oh, two months, and doesn’t offer up the information, GET IT.

And if you have none of the above and cannot help your own cause, do not call me after hours or on a weekend to fix it for you. It’s not going to happen.

No comments: