Sunday, June 26, 2016

Two steps forward, a couple back

Making some progress with the apartment at the same time I’m losing a little ground.

Happily, even though I have the wrong visa, my air delivery got delivered. Now I have most of my clothes and little bit of decoration. Not much in that department, since most of what meager possessions I own are in the boat shipment, but I did get the cross I bought at Boot Barn and Uncle Gray baby grandfather clock. Both of those are sitting in an otherwise empty china cabinet. The look quite lonely, but they won’t get any company any time soon. I do have to get the visa taken care of to get the other stuff.

That’s a three-step process, or maybe four, depending on how you count it. Any way you cut it, step two is under way – I shipped the passport off to DC to get the right visa. When it comes back, I have to exit the country again to get it all straightened out. So I guess that is three steps to get the visa, but after I get the visa, I then have to cough up the passport again in order to get my residency card, which I need to get my boat shipment.

There’s nothing I can do to speed the process, so I’m trying not to sweat it. I am pressured for time, though, if I want to anywhere for Labor Day, or the big holiday that’s the week after. I can only pray and cross my fingers that it all gets done in time.

One day, I’ll have all my stuff reunited in Istanbul. Hopefully, I’ll have a place to put it.

Unlike Guangzhou, I have plenty of storage room. There’s an entire room in the basement – larger than my spare bedrooms – that’s all mine. Except it’s flooded. I came back through the garage the other day – the room is off it – and noticed a huge pool of water right outside the door. Thinking that couldn’t be good, I went up and got my key, then discovered that over 2/3 of the floor was covered with standing water. Fortunately, the one corner that wasn’t affected had two boxes sitting in it. Unfortunately, my luggage was sitting right near the source of the leak.

I went up and got my dustpan-on-a-stick, which has a little squeegee end, and pushed all the water out. In my air shipment, I had one of those storage tubs and I put it under where water was still dripping pretty fast.

Later that day, I checked it again and it’s still leaking from other places, because there was more water on the floor as well as in the tub. Sigh. I reported it on Friday, but nothing happened. Hopefully they can fix it tomorrow.

And while they’re at it, they can fix the hot water heater – again. I had no hot water when I got here, had to jerry-rig the thing for awhile and then it got fixed. But I looked at it and saw an “E-04” flashing and figured that can’t be good. Sure ‘nuff, the hot water ran out. So very annoying. The worst thing is you’re not empowered to do anything yourself – you have to put in the formal requests to have it done.

This weekend, I got back into the gym full-time and did 10k-12k both mornings, meaning I was nasty sweaty. I hit the showers in the gym area because I don’t have hot water.

Did the same thing after wandering around my little area the past two days. It’s about 85 degrees out, and sunny, so me walking 5-6 kilometers outside made me a bit stinky, too. After that, I swam and then hit the showers. It’s not a bad compromise for now, but I really want my hot water working.

Yesterday, my walkabout led me to this high-end mall. Not super high end like they have in Guangzhou and Hong Kong, but they have Under Armor and Crate and Barrel. Oh, and a Shake Shack and a Popeye’s, although my Marine friends termed that Popeye’s as “nasty.” I’ll decide that on my own, but later. I got there around 5 p.m., which was too early to eat dinner, so I had a caramel shake.

Wandered around there a bit, found the movie theater but “Finding Dory” wasn’t there, but according to the coming attractions I found online, “Fish Dora Lost” will be here soon. That’ll do.

Decided I’d seen enough – I really don’t like shopping, just wanted to look around – and headed back, sucking it up to repeat the 40-minute walk again. But right outside, I ran into a few of the Marines and bummed a ride with them.

Today, I set out in the opposite direction, covering about six kilometers after doing the whole gym thing in the morning. I really do wipe myself out on weekends. Didn’t really see anything super cool, but I just soaked up views of the Bosporus. That’s worth it.


Next week, we have our Independence Day party, and it’s on a weekday. Yuk. I am working for an hour, but it’s my understanding we have to be there the whole time. I’m really unclear on it but I’m just thrilled I’m not planning it. I do fear I’ll get tagged to do it next year, so I am going to enjoy this almost-responsibility-free one this time around. From what I understand, there’s Krispy Kreme!

No comments: