Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Channeling Bo Duke

When I flew into Tallahassee, there was a family waiting for someone – not me – at the airport. They were all decked out in FSU gear. In all honestly, I almost went up to them and hugged them.

It’s good to be back in Seminole Territory.

Really, that’s one of the things that struck me as soon as I arrived in DC – the collegiate representation. There aren’t that many US college T-shirts and sweatshirts in China, you know? And even arriving in DC, it felt nice and homey, even though I wasn’t in Tallahassee yet.

But now I am back, and man, it’s great. I’ve come down with a slight cold and that’s kind of annoying, but I’ve been seeing friends and doctors for a couple day straight.

Today I got back around 4 or 5 and immediately headed to the yard. It’s just so awful. I could spend all home leave working on that. And I might.

Last week, I spent at a class outside of DC. It dealt with, among other things, kind of defensive driving. One drill was to test brakes and I had a hard time with that. Apparently my full throttle will never be made into a movie. We had three students and one instructor in each car and my group, all men but me, had a fun time basically mocking my meek driving skills. What can I say? I do not speed like that.

Everything we did – designed, for the most part, were to test what is safe for the car to do – was against everything you learn in drivers’ ed. It was very, very “Dukes of Hazzard”-like. I do not have an inner Bo Duke to channel. I was way more into Luke.

No comments: