Sunday, March 13, 2016

Goodbye to Hong Kong.


What more appropriate thing to do is there in your last month in Guangzhou than go to Hong Kong?

I went with two colleagues and had a wonderful time. Got a haircut, ate a great burger, saw a movie, met a friend and wandered around a bit, which is what you’re supposed to do in Hong Kong.

The weather was a bit chilly. Due to some weird weather front, it turned about 60 degrees in SE Asia, and a little drizzly.

Stayed at a different place in HK than I’ve stayed before, and took intra-city buses for the first time. I’ve taken buses to the outer islands, but, on my last trip, learned a trick that would have saved me lots of time commuting. Instead of the metro under, down, over and back again, we took a bus right under the harbor. It was five minutes to the hotel instead of 40. I never would have learned that trick.

Didn’t buy much, but I never do. You eat in Hong Kong, you don’t really shop. Or at least I don’t. I enjoy the food, and the basic burger is just fabulous. It’s The Burger Club, if you ever find yourself there. Just fantastic.

One of my goals was to run down my metro card. I’d put a lot on it assuming I was going to Disney, but got med evac’ed instead. Anyway, part of my reasons for wanting to go was to spend the money on the metro card, which can also be used as a debit card around town.

And score! I was so successful, I ran it to -$1.20! (That’s maybe four cents.) Hong Kong is expensive. I burned through about $1000 HKD. And all I really did was eat!

I brought my stuffed German shepherd with me and tried to photograph him at various places in Hong Kong, but my camera batteries died. My two colleagues took some photos, so if I can get them, I’ll add here.

I’d decided to take the dog with me, Flat Stanley-style, to take goofy pictures of where I live. We went for a walk last night to pick up some sports equipment and he got some shots, too. I’ll take him to the gym tonight.

No comments: