Saturday, February 20, 2016

I need to eat a lot of grits

My departure date is set at April 2, and since we’re in late February now, I’m sort of officially down to the wire.

Since I didn’t go anywhere last weekend, I tried to take a look at what I’ll be up against packing. It’s not going to be fun, but anyone who’s moved knows that. And that’s the stuff. I can take all that with me.
These were on the dock in Brunei. Loved the shot.

What doesn’t pack so well is the food. I’m trying to finish off what I can. I think I can take what’s left, but some of the stuff doesn’t transport that well.

And somehow, I’ve wound up with a lot of grits. I didn’t bring that much, I swear, but I’ve sponsored quite a few people and, since I can’t order them from Walmart, that’s the “American” food I’ve requested. Well, grits, alfredo sauce and Junior Mints, but somehow it’s grits I’m overrun with. I think I have four canisters left, and no way can I finish that off.

Plus, I’m almost out of butter, and you can’t do grits without butter. It’s is really expensive here (it’s imported from New Zealand) and you can’t exactly buy a small thing of it. Considering I barely use it – grits and twice-a-week-if-I’m-here-on-the-weekend pancakes – I don’t want to buy any more in my waning weeks. It’s highly likely I will resort to take a pack or two the once a week I eat at the Ascott breakfast buffet.

I used about three-quarters of the small bit I had left today, when I made cookies for the last time. I finished off the peppermint M&Ms that Dana gave me for Christmas and the butter Crisco sticks. The cookies are destined to go into the office Monday but they’re really tasty and I might finish them off this weekend.

With no other plans for Saturday, I went ahead and did my Sunday stuff, which is cooking for the next week. Usually it’s a rice mixture but I pulled out all the other already-open stuff and now have three loads of carrots/broccoli/onion/garlic: one with couscous, one with lentils and one with some kind of Ramen noodle thing my intern left me. I don’t have high hopes for that but couldn’t bear to throw away good food.
Brunei, where I saw the monkeys. Love it.

The other thing I’ve done is buy the remaining X, Y or Z that I will need through this tour. I figured this would save me on grocery bills down the road. But it created some weird looks a couple of weeks ago when I left my desk drawer open. Someone glanced over and saw about eight Lays cans and thought I was nuts.

I’m going to run out of Junior Mints and that’s a bad thing because it can take 6-8 weeks for an Amazon order to arrive. Last week, I placed an order at Walmart and as soon as I clicked “place order,” I realized it’s the last online order I’ll be able to place from here.

I just hope it comes in on time. My “packout” is scheduled for March 24, and if it’s not in by then, I have to take it on the plane.

No comments: