Sunday, January 24, 2016

Singapore sling


So happy to be home! I got back on Friday and am thrilled to be here. I told people I feel like Sigourney Weaver at the end of “Working Girl,” though my drugs aren’t as strong.

After realizing I’d put on eight pounds in the 10 days I’ve been gone, I got back to the elliptical. I’m allowed to do that if I keep the one arm in the sling. I was supposed to lay off for the weekend, but I’ve been bored out of my mind so I did it anyway. Probably not the smartest move, but I just had to get back in the action a little bit.

Nothing right now makes me want to even go outside, so if it wasn’t for that, I have no idea what I’d do. It’s been an actual winter weekend in Guangzhou – the coldest on record in 60 years.

As the U.S. East Coast is covered in snow right, Guangzhou – in its “Miami-like” condition – had flakes today! I could not believe it. I was looking out the bathroom window and saw some white stuff. I thought, man, in another world, that could be snow. And I realized it was. The people on the ground were pointing up to it. It only lasted maybe three minutes, but it was real – and completely unreal.

Other than eat, I’ve barely done anything this weekend, but it’s been so nice to be home. I did the elliptical for an hour both mornings – about half what I normally do – and then I went to breakfast with one colleague, dinner with another, brunch with another and then had another over to my house for a movie and popcorn, and candies that Dana sent. (THANK YOU!)

Tonight, I intend to soak in the bathtub, which is kind of a challenge with the arm. The dressing, which I have for another week, is waterproof, but I’m a little motion-challenged.

I did one physical therapy appointment and am trying to follow the regimen the lady gave me. She clearly hated me – she made me cry. Sadist. It hurt SO bad. Some motion I got back quickly. I’m good at the pendulum circles and crosses. But anything in the back hurts so very, very badly, and after I do the motions with no real issues, it will start hurting.

After awhile on the elliptical, it started hurting, too, even though it was just sitting there in the blue plastic “Made in China” sling.

Saturday morning, I managed to put on a sports bra before working out. And afterwards, after struggling five minutes to take off the sweaty T-shirt, I decided to just shower with the bra on. And I left it on all night for Sunday’s workout, then left it on all day after my shower. I even (painfully) washed my hair, necessitating getting shampoo out of the bra.

I seriously thought about just leaving it on for the next six weeks or so, but when the colleague came over to watch the movie, I decided to try to take it off, reasoning that if I got stuck, she could help. Fortunately, I was able to get it off. (My method, like for stripping down, involves bending over, as I can’t lift my arms over my head for too long.)

So right now, this isn’t an improvement. It’s actually worse, because I absolutely cannot put on a bra that fastens in the back. I’ve bought two that snap in the front and boy, those are fun enough.

But I’m working on it.

Really, other than having to wear my little Singapore sling while commuting, I am clear to try to work it as usual. I can’t lift anything heavy or use the rubber bands, but they encouraged me to keep moving it as I normally would.

Since it’s cold outside (really cold, not Guangzhou cold, which is around 60 degrees F), I have been just throwing the coat over the sling, wearing that side cape-like. It’s really complicated to put the darn thing on.

The instructions on the PT say to do motions “just outside of the comfort zone” but not “into pain.” That is a very fine line. I can do it, but it hurts; I’m just not sure how much hurt there’s supposed to be.

But it’s progressing. Last night, for part of the night anyway – when the drugs were fresh – I managed to sleep on my stomach. (Me on my back = REALLY weird dreams.)

However, I tried that this morning and it hurt like a sonofabitch. I couldn’t take it and rolled over onto my back, then up, pretty much screaming lots of colorful words.

No comments: