Sunday, July 12, 2015

Great Scott!

It’s kind of scary when the most interesting thing you do all weekend is settle in for your 38th viewing of “Back to the Future,” but that’s about the sum of the weekend.

Church of the Ascension.
Today was the second time this week we reserved the movie room here at Ascott. I did my first viewing of “The Blues Brothers” on Thursday. Honestly, I didn’t get it. I think I’m about 5-10 years too young for that one. The music was good, but as far as movies showcasing Chicago go, I’ll take Ferris, thank you. And if I want police officers looking stupid and wrecking cars, I’m going with “The Dukes of Hazzard,” thank you very much.

But “Back to the Future,” 30 years later, is still a good movie. Granted, the second one isn’t exactly accurate in its depiction of 2015, but it’s fun. Michael J. Fox was all that back then, for sure.

Meat market
This week was a long one at work – darn those five-day work weeks! – and recovery time post-Kazakhstan has slim. Normally I wake up well before my alarm clock goes off, but this past week it just hasn’t happened. The whole week has been totally exhausting.

On Friday, we had a little get-together, and immediately following that I did the outreach movie (“Apollo 13”). I just thought the week would never end, and even at that point, it didn’t. I worked all day on Saturday, too – eight hours.

So today, the highlight being vegging in the movie room was good for me. Really, the only other things I did were grocery-shopping and cooking dinner for next week. Other than that, I pretty much watched “King of the Hill” and “Mystery, Alaska” while napping on the sofa. I’ll never be able to get to sleep tonight.

Outside the circus
Next weekend I’m doing a river cruise on the Pearl River, which is just outside my window. It’s one of the few things I consider must-dos while I am in Guangzhou, and the office is getting a group up for Saturday. I’m glad; I didn’t want to go by myself. So far, I know of two families that are going so I’m pretty sure they’ll get enough for the trip to be a go.

Looking at the calendar, next week is going to be a doozie. Tomorrow night, I’m going to a circus and Tuesday night is Bible study. We have a “hail and farewell” party either on Wednesday or Thursday (not sure which; I wrote it on both days) and then Friday is another going-away party.

Sorry for the reflection
Going-away parties are big during the summer, and they’re already getting out of hand. My supervisor is leaving and I’m under pressure to get a party for him, but I am just not the right person for this. I place very little importance on sentimental things, and that’s what these are all about. As a result, I’ve been trying to get some of the local staff to take over the planning, but so far it’s come up empty.

After pulling teeth to get a little committee together, I had a meeting with the intention of turning over the ball. Well, I kept trying to hand it off, but no one would run with it.

The party is scheduled for August 5, with the 7th being my supervisor’s last day. That’s three weeks, and so far, nothing has happened. I have no idea what will happen.

Photos of Almaty.

No comments: