Thursday, May 7, 2015

A three-day in town


My freezer holds at least 48 boxes of Junior Mints. Well, actually, the bottom drawer of my freezer (which is more than a third of the whole freezer), holds 48 boxes of Junior Mints. I have more in the top drawer, which is smaller than the bottom drawer.

This past three-day weekend wasn’t that productive, and about all I did was unpack two cases of Junior Mints and load them up into the freezer.

That’s my post-dinner treat on a nightly basis – half a box – and I’ve placed my last order of them from Amazon for the summer. If I order them now, they’re going to be way too melty to eat. And I keep them in the freezer to prolong their little lives. I hope they last through summer, but I don’t think they will.

And since I’ve decided I have no willpower for LifeSavers, I don’t know what I’ll do after I run out.

Anyway, that was my three-day weekend. I did barely anything. There’s really no excuse why I couldn’t crank out a blog post, either. I was mostly bored. Seriously, I was in the gym SEVEN times.

It was International Labor Day on Friday, and the first three-day weekend I’ve spent in Guangzhou. I had high hopes of going to the in-town safari park, but that didn’t work out. My two would-be companions canceled on me because we had a 90 percent chance of rain. (It did rain, but only for about 10 minutes.)  I thought we'd reschedule for Saturday or today, but they had kiddie stuff to do.

So was largely bored, but did do things in spurts. My left hip is hurting badly from over-use of the gym and pool. On Sunday, I didn't last on the elliptical, which I usually do for 75 minutes before moving on. I got to 45 minutes and had to quit and move to the bike. I'd been in the pool at 9 p.m. the night before and I just couldn't go at 7 a.m.
Friday, I opted to have breakfast in the apartment's restaurant -- they're offering it to us now -- and ran into a bunch of colleagues who live here. I was probably there for two hours, all told. The group just kept growing. Three of us decided to go to the glasses market. I bought two pairs of glasses for about $70 total. The one person got a pair of trifocals for $120 or so. We were supposed to go back this weekend to get them, but now the one person is going to Hong Kong instead. The third in the party went back the next day with her husband to pick hers up and get more.
Saturday, I did the grocery shopping and veggie market, then cooked. Between that, Die Hard and the gym, that was it. I wound up watching all three Die Hards. (Like Indy, I disavow any knowledge of a fourth.)

Sunday I wandered out to go to the bar and watch the fight, but I realized I didn't know where the bar was and came back. Upon returning, I called someone to whom I'd told I was going there and said I didn't go, what was he doing. He said he was back at the apartment and was going to watch the fight at the same place, so I met him and he took me. Turns out I went the right way but it was a block further than I thought it was.
Anyway, the crowd (and it was PACKED) seemed to think Pacaquano -- or whatever his name is - got hosed, and then my friend (the dentist in the building; he is from the same map dot that Mary Lynn is from.) got a burger and went back home. Another colleague had reserved the movie room at 7 p.m., so I wound up finishing the long, boring weekend with 1961’s “The Absent-Minded Professor.”
And now I just can’t do another three-day here. I still want to go to the safari park but not enough to hang out here for it. (Incidentally, it costs more on holiday weekends anyway, so we’re going to aim for a regular weekend for it.)
My next three-day is up in the air, though. I have a flight to Katmandu and fortunately, China Southern changed the flight time, giving me a possible out. I think I can cancel it without a penalty, but since I got it through Expedia, this is turning out to be more involved that I thought. Still, I am hopeful, and if I get it canceled, I have absolutely no idea what I will do.
I do not want to stay home again.

No comments: