Sunday, October 19, 2014

A weekend in town



I’m in the stretch where I’m out of town more weekends than I’m in town and it was so nice to just not have to take a plane or a train anywhere.

Instead, I returned to the little art district again with a couple that I know. I bought some stuff for someone and had a nice pork loin at this German restaurant there. (The couple that I know doesn’t eat Chinese food.)

Attended the birthday party of a 5-year-old, where I again was the only one without children. It was a “Frozen” party. Kind of amusing to see the dads walking around with paper cups imprinted with “Princess in Training.”

The cake was pretty amazing. I do not understand how they make them look like pictures.

But other than those things and working out, I did nothing else out of the ordinary.

The darn 10 pounds that crept up on me in Florida hasn’t gone away yet, despite my stepped-up efforts. I was in there all week but nada.

Sunday has been pretty freaking amazing. I woke up early to hit the gym so I’d be done by FSU’s 8 a.m. kickoff.

Holy cow, what a game. My Slingbox worked mostly fine, and I had enough time at halftime to run down and hit the grocery store.

But man, that was scary. The reception was a little blurry down toward the end; I think the racing of my heart might have created static interference or something. Wow. I was just not believing what I was seeing.

I’ll miss the next two games since I’ll be on the road, and that’s not comforting. It’s really hard to follow college football from a 12-hour time difference away.

Packing for this two-week trip is becoming increasingly complicated. I took the “items to bring” list and Sharpie’d out everything that I have no access to. And now I’m putting out a call to borrow some things. I went to this sports store to try to find hiking poles and they cost a lot more than I thought, but I think I know a couple people from whom I could borrow them.

I did get lucky and got a pair of hiking boots. I wasn’t going to sweat them, but the items list went on and on about them, so I asked someone and as it turns out, his wife wears my size and loaned me what appear to be brand new LL Bean hiking boots. I am going to verify this tomorrow and if they are new, I’m not taking them. I don’t want to be the first to mess up anyone’s boots.

One of the things I’m supposed to bring is seeds, so when I went to the grocery store at halftime, I grabbed some of those. (I also got my VAT tax form filled out, so bonus there.)

Really, I have been super busy all day and it’s all been productive. I woke up early (which means 5:30), was in the gym at 6, in the shower at 8 and in front of the computer at 8:20. Took a nap, got up and ran into work to do some personal emails and stuff. Got home, swam some laps and then hung out in the steam room then decided to hunt for sunblock and bug repellent.

I’m batting .500 on that one, assuming what I got was sunblock. I’m not entirely sure, but it does have a “30” on it and a little cartoon of some kids sitting under a mushroom and staying out of the sun. Somehow, it seemed like sunblock, so I took a chance.

Nothing doing on the bug repellent, though. I saw some of those little bracelet things yesterday in the sporting good store and in retrospect I should have jumped on them. Too late now. I guess I’ll just get bitten.

The packing isn’t going well. I’m basically bringing everything that fits. It’s not good. There’s not much there. Even with the renewed 10 pounds, there’s not a lot that fits.

No comments: