Sunday, September 14, 2014

A whole lot of nothing



That’s been my weekend. And I don’t mean that in a bad way.

Starting from my Guilin trip – two weekends ago – and about Thanksgiving, I am in town exactly three weekends. This was one of those, so I am fairly delighted to have done barely anything noteworthy.

I mean, I filled my time successfully, even finishing two books. I worked out as usual, then got in some decent sauna/steam room/swimming pool time both Saturday and Sunday. But beyond a quickie trip to the grocery store, which is about a five-minute walk away and doesn’t entail going into the outside world, I didn’t even leave my apartment.

Guess it’s kind of a respite in the middle of a storm. Not exactly the eye of the hurricane, since in another three weeks I have another weekend off, but a nice break.

My long-awaited Walmart orders arrived. They were placed about three weeks apart but arrived on the same day. I think they all go to Hong Kong and get pilfered through to make sure everything is able to be imported with no questions. I say this because one of the three giant bags of Cheetoes I’d ordered came in a plastic Ziplock-ish bag. It had been popped open. The two bags of sugar were also in their own private locked bags.

So the biggest noteworthy things going on during my non-noteworthy weekend have been eating Cheetoes and LifeSavers. And, trust me, I’ve done quite a bit of both.

I did make an effort to share. I had two people over here this week to watch a movie. One of the pair’s husband has been out of town two weeks and I think she was lonely, so I invited her,  then asked one of my other colleagues at work to join us, too.

I let them choose the movie and both were kind of shocked at the number that I own. I honestly didn’t mean to bring the whole collection with me, but I misunderstood the packout instructions and somehow thought I’d be able to go through them later and thin the herd. That didn’t happen and I have pretty much everything I own, although not all of them play in the disc player that came with the apartment.

After about 10 minutes, one of them picked up “9 to 5” and the other, who’s maybe 26, hadn’t heard of it. So we went with it.

Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I watched it, but it is still so very funny. It’s from 1980, and it’s kind of frightening to know things really haven’t changed a whole lot.

In the office scenes, though, there are no computer monitors on any of the desks. The copier that Jane Fonda tackles is that giant behemoth thing, and I swear I remember those.

Lily Tomlin is hysterical, but I think Dolly Parton rules that movie. Man, she is just awesome. Definition of spunk. They don’t make them like her anymore.

It was a nice evening to just sit and chill and do a movie. I’d had to work late that night and had to skip the workout routine, so it made it a non-wasted evening and I got to be social at the same time.

I’m way better being social in small groups than in large ones. There was a party on Saturday night at someone’s apartment and although I’d planned to go, I wound up opting out. The theme was “hipster,” something that I am decidedly *not.* And it only takes a fraction of the blink of an eye to make that decision.

So I bailed even before it started; I’m just not a party-goer. I can do the dinner parties and such, but the let’s-get-drunk stuff just isn’t for me.

And sometimes you really do just need a weekend off.

No comments: