Monday, October 7, 2013

Shooting up with “Breaking Bad”



For years, people have been telling me that I’d enjoy “Breaking Bad.” I’m not into TV all that much, at least as it airs. I don’t have the commitment in me to watch it on whatever channel it comes on, but once they get to Netflix, I don’t mind trying out new shows.

On that, I recommend “House of Cards.”

Anyway, last weekend or so – right before the overall season finale on real TV – I finally decided to start on “Breaking Bad.” As the first season was only eight episodes or so, I watched them in a few days but then got waylaid with my DVD Netflix order.

As an aside, I am not sure why I continue to put movies in my queue that the rest of the word says are bad. I don’t always have the same views as the rest of the world – in fact, I usually don’t – but on movies, the general public has a good grasp on movies.

So I should have known better than to put “The Great Gatsby” into my to-view list. It took me three days to make it past the first 30 minutes. Yeah, big red flag there. It was pretty horrible.

After that diversion, I got back to “BB” and am currently in the third season. Gotta say, it’s everything people said. Very addicting.

Really, I don’t understand why people watch TV as it airs. It’s much better, in my mind, to watch three at a time or whatever at your own convenience.

For some reason, I thought my whole training period would be foot-to-the-floor busy, but I haven’t been. I’ve had periods of dead time that I just hadn’t anticipated.

Our training schedule – there are 10 of us – is basically 9-4 with an hour lunch and 1-2 breaks in the morning and afternoon. It’s not bad.

So far, my end of it has not been directly affected by the shutdown, although that could change. I recognize that I am lucky and blessed to have received a paycheck and, so far as I know, still be on track for the next one.

But the slowness is welcome; I’ve been doing a few of the additional classes online and in general, trying to get ready for deployment.

One of the pre-departure errands is vaccinations. For those who haven’t heard, I’ll be heading to SE Asia (email me for more detail) and there is a slew of shots I need.

I’ve had many, thanks to my PC service, but things like typhoid expire. (Fortunately, I don’t think the rabies series does.) And PC didn’t record some of the ones I know that I’ve had.

But I lack a spate, and last week I got started on them. Holy smokes. I did the flu shot on Thursday and made the appointment for the rest on Friday.  

Well, Thursday came and I went at lunch to get, I think it was, seven shots. However, since I have to go back in for the second of one of those series a bit later, we broke it up, plus on one, I am going for the oral instead of the shot. It lasts five years vs. two, and it's one less hole in my arm.

The oral thing turned out to be way, way worse than the shots. It’s one of those you take on an empty stomach, so I did it right before I got to bed. The normal side effects include diarrhea, 100+ temperature, abdominal pains and the like, but I slept just fine I and figured I was OK.

Wrong. Friday I was just blah. I didn’t have any of the listed effects to the extreme or anything, but it wasn’t a good day. Plus, I’d gotten three shots in one arm and two in the other, so I couldn’t even lift my arms.

Totally listless, I muddled through class and then just came and crashed on the sofa, with “Breaking Bad” on Netflix.

Since the oral thing is a series of four pills, one a day over a span of six days, I hoped to God that my Friday reaction was from the whole HepA-B-Japenceph-flu-yellowfever combo and not just the oral thing.

Apparently not. I took the second of the four last night and this morning, same thing. I’d had delusional plans of playing tourist in an abandoned District of Columbia, but that just didn’t happen. I drug myself to church and was so out of it I don’t even know what the pastor talked about. I was sweating up a storm and had shortness of breath – the whole nine yards.

So I came back home, turned on “BB” again and just did nothing. Sheesh, I don’t even think I drooled.

Tomorrow I am due to take another, and I’m going to change the tactic to take it in the morning. Since it seems to take awhile to kick in, I will try to state off the nasty/listless feeling until I get out of class.

Fortunately, I should be well over this vaccine long before the second round of shots, which is scheduled to be on Halloween. I thought that was appropriate.

No comments: