Monday, August 12, 2013

Sunflowers on Sunday


My countdown clock is really winding down now, and it worries me some. I’ve got at least one large project due before around the middle of November and so far it’s kind of stalled. After doing a lot of work on one phase of it last week, there’s little I can do on it until I enter my supervisor’s brain.

At the moment, that brain is suffering from a severe migraine, so it ain’t going to be today.

Today’s been a little of a letdown overall, in part because Saturday is over. This is a good thing. I had a really big community event on Saturday and I have been ready for 2:30 p.m. on August 10 since about April 3. Now that it’s over, I am kind of at a loss as to in which direction to move.

Yesterday, though, that direction was south. I hopped on the back of the bike again and got chauffeured around a big square in North Dakota encompassing the Garrison Dam, some cool national park with a lot of flowers, Hazen and Stanton, the home of Sakakawea (more commonly known as Sacajawea).

So it was nice and somewhat relaxing, even if I did forget to put sunscreen on my nose. Today I look like Rudolph. 
 
The dam is an earthen one, one of the biggest in the U.S. I’m fascinated by these things because I just don’t understand science at all. Somehow water turns into electricity. I just don’t grasp these things. A misused “it’s” jumps out at me, but my brain cannot grasp this kind of stuff.

There were lots of people fishing, be it in boats or along the sand. Saw some beaver-chewed trees but no evidence of the beavers or any dam made by critters.

Went by a fish hatchery, which wasn’t open despite being between the posted hours. You could walk in and see some tanks, but not the big long ones or anything. But it was cool to see what a walleye looks like because people talk about catching those all the time.
 
The sunflowers are massively cool. North Dakota produces more sunflower oil and seeds than any other US state, and there are fields upon fields of them.

Last week’s ride north didn’t yield too many that had gotten to the big blooming phase just yet, but on this trip there were plenty. They’re just so gorgeous.

The little Sakakawea city had a museum there, but we only had about 10 minutes before closing. Fortunately, you could wander outside in the mud igloo earth home thing. It was actually a nice-sized area with things like bunk beds and I thought that wouldn’t be so bad until I read the description that said that families of 5-15 plus their dogs and horses lived in them. Then it was a bit too cozy for me.

Saw lots of little wildlife, including something small being run down quickly by something medium-sized. Couldn’t really tell what it was, though.

The frogs were out in force and one deer jumped in front of us. I couldn’t get the camera ready for that one. Also met two cool dogs, which made me miss Kocur all over again.

Oh, and another awesome thing I couldn’t capture on film: a bald eagle. Man, that was cool. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the wild. This one obviously had a nest nearby because he kept hanging out in the same area (this was when we were talking to a fisherman so we were there awhile). But my camera is crappy and I didn’t even try. I just watched it fly.

I’ve no idea how long the motorcycle rides are going to last, but I am enjoying them. It’s a little tough getting the view from the bike – I have this big head in front of me – but it’s much easier to just duck down a side street and see where it goes.

No comments: