Thursday, March 21, 2013

More of this later

Pastor Dan stuck up a sign on the wall that shows Punxsutawney Phil and a caption “Wanted for Fraud.”

I knew in my heart spring was a pipe dream, but the reality just bites. Frost bites.

There aren’t even temperatures up to freezing in the long-term forecast yet. Every time I check, warmer weather gets postponed a little longer.

And by “warmer,” I mean 33.

This week, I had to shovel the driveway again. It took two days. I just couldn’t do it. Three-foot high drifts get heavy. Especially when the wind is still whipping.

The wind is incredible here. As I’ve mentioned before, it’s a good thing I didn’t bring Batgirl. She’d have blown away by now.

This winter, I’ve learned the meaning behind the expression “flies in the face of.”

The wind pretty much goes east to west, so when I shovel the east side of the driveway and try to add it to my snowbanks, about a quarter of each shovel full takes flight, smack into my face.

The snow is killing me. Hoth. That’s what one of the sj.com posters called it. I’m living on Hoth.
 
The spare snow, where the dudes dump everything after they plow the road, has pretty much quintupled in size in a week. Check out where the fire hydrant is in the photo from last week.

Now, look at the one from the shot taken on Wednesday. I took them from different angles (I couldn’t open the “front” door this week because the snow w as too high, so I took the new photos from the street) but if you judge by the fire hydrant you can see how it’s grown and why I drift off at night wondering if I’ll wake up in an igloo the next morning.

This late-season snow is scary.
 
They had been predicting us almost reaching freezing next weekend, but it looks like that's been pushed back. I see nothing positive in the
future.

It doesn't bode well for work. Our camp is supposed to open on April 13 and it's not looking like we'll have running water. The pipes are above ground. We have 70 volunteers coming that week and no idea what we're supposed to do with them.

Even if it thawed tomorrow, it probably wouldn't be warm enough to get the running water. This is just not good.

And people here are concerned about floods, too. I mean, this is how it all started two years ago, too. We’re still not done coming back from the 2011 flood and people are worried about it.


No comments: