Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Welcome to 2013

I guess I'm kind of neutral on 2012 being over. After starting off in Indonesia and getting kicked off the island in April. I had a great last six months here in Minot.

For the most part, anyway. There were some downers, of which last week was one.

One of the furnaces went out in the church on Thursday, which really wasn't much of a big deal since there are several others. It was chilly in the offices, though, and Friday I decided to go grab the space heater out of my RV to provide a little warmth.

Since Steve had been on vacation since a little before Christmas, it stood to reason there was snow all over the place, which I trudged through to get to my RV. I thought I saw footsteps, but it wasn't like it had snowed all that much, so I didn't think much of it. It was a bit weird, though, that there were some concentrated around my back door, which doesn't open.

But whatever; I opened the door and grabbed the heater, noting there were snowy footprints on the floor. And even noticing my TV was missing, it still didn't ring any alarm bells. After all, we're getting a new employee this week and I figured Steve was loaning him my TV until May. Since I'm staying off campus for now, it wouldn't be a problem.

But when I texted Steve to ask if he had done so, he called immediately, saying that he hadn't. Meaning someone broke in.

So I went back out and re-checked everything else. Nothing else was touched. My old sitemate's place, which is empty and has nothing in it, had zero footsteps. Neither did Steve's. His RV was locked (mine doesn't have a key, so it can't be locked from outside) so nothing was gone from there.

I checked the rest of the campus and didn't notice anything else broken into and came back and reported it to my supervisor and Steve. We decided to go ahead and report it not because we expected to see the TV again but we would have something to reference if we had any further issues.

Before the police came, though, I remembered that I'd subconsciously, almost checked to the bed to make sure it hadn't been slept in. I looked at it and thought, "nope, no one's been sleeping in my bed" - but then realized I came to that conclusion because there were no blankets or quilts on the bed. I had left my electric blanket it. The person had swiped that, too.

So when the police came, we walked through it again and I saw some tracks in front. I assumed it was from the Bobcat, which Steve clears snow with. Didn't think much of it.

That report got filed and I mourned the loss of my electric blanket, but really, what can you do? Move on.

However, after lunch, my supervisor came in and asked if I had seen the Gator. I paled -- I had not. I had not even known where it was parked and came to learn it was in front of my RV. Those were the tracks.

So we (armed this time), went back out to look again and realized that not only had the Gator been stolen, it had been loaded up onto a trailer -- one of ours -- and driven off.

I wound up spending my Friday evening filing another police report for about $20,000 in missing items.

We'll get with the detectives later on it, but let's just say 2012 didn't end on a good note.

It is reprehensible that someone would steal from a Christian disaster relief organization.

No comments: