Sunday, November 11, 2012

Oh, s---!

Well, it’s a bittersweet day. I have been sitting at the office in the church and working on hand-addressing 2,500 envelopes, content in the knowledge that tonight I’ll be soaking in a bathtub in my warm house. And it’s snowing outside. Still and again.


The owners of the home I’m moving into were due to fly out at noon this morning and during, my breaks in labeling the lopes, I have loaded up my car.

And the folks who just came by for their church portraits let it slip that all flights were canceled today. I went online to verify and, sure enough, I’m sleeping in the RV at least one more night.

Oh, I am so disappointed, but I can’t say I am surprised. The visibility is miserable and I’m not excited about driving any time soon.

I was excited about wearing my new boots, though. I got some Patagonia boots on sale from someplace for dirt cheap, but when I wore them for the first time yesterday, the suede split! I have to ship them back tomorrow and I am bummed about that.

But there’s enough snow to warrant my taller LL Bean boots, which are also awesome.

In the mean time, I’m hanging out in the church again, addressing envelopes and watching Netflix. I’ve been alternating between “Monk” and “Frasier” with an occasional movie or documentary thrown in.

I do not want to spend more time in the RV, where I again ran out of propane in the middle of the night.  Again, the electric blanket is all that I need, but it’s still really annoying.

And cold. So very cold in the morning. I got up, threw on the sheet and got dressed under that as I stood in front of the space heaters.

Went into the church for breakfast and went back to the RV, where I got validation of how cold I had been.

There, hanging out of my faucet, was an icicle. Inside the house. Oh, my, it’s cold inside.

The high today is 12, and tomorrow it’s 20.

It is so frightening that I am looking forward to it being 20.

But I am. Not as much as I am looking forward to it being May, but I am.

No comments: