Friday, October 28, 2011

I don’t need a hairbrush. I don’t have any hair.

Six months in and headed for a week of vacation, I opted to finally get a haircut. Haven’t had one in the entire time I’ve been here, so it’s been a little out of control.

Without having much of a clue where to go, I went to a mall cheapie 10 minute place, one that offers A FREE COMB!!! with the price, which is about $4.

Two guys were in line in front of me, and man, it took more than 10 minutes but boy, did I get my money’s worth.

Going in, I had shoulder-length hair for the first time ever – even longer than it had been in Morocco. Likely grayer, too, not that you could tell that with the white girl hair mixed on the floor with all the luscious black Asian hair.

I indicated something like maybe 2-3 inches to be taken off, but whereas “turn and spit” in the dentist translates fairly easily, somehow my “hold up the amount to be chopped off” became sort of a recommendation.

She just kept chopping and chopping. And then she resumed chopping.

In reality, I swear more hair wound up in my lap than on my head. Holy cow. It’s not that it’s bad – not even close – but holy smokes, did she take off a lot. I was hoping to go back to work in a week and look like I did yesterday, but no way that’s happening. I don’t work with blind people.

So now, in about an hour I leave for vacation with what’s left of my hair in a bandana.

I’m off to Kuala Lumpur again, armed 3wad tanni (for the second time) with my Delta credit purchased ticket. This time I’m staying a week and have a modest side trip planned. It’s a real vacation, not a getaway and I’m trying to get into that mentality.

Not sure if I’m taking my laptop just yet (I have an hour to plan, like I said) so I’ve got no idea when I’ll be online again.

No comments: