Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Your Dumbass of the Day Award for Aug. 23 goes to…

Without reviewing the other contenders, I think I get this hands down.


Got up as usual and did the whole morning routine. Checked my email and downloaded tomorrow’s workout narrative. Glanced at my calendar and noted that I’d written “OFF” on today’s date.


Thought briefly to check but I had some downloading issues and had it in my brain that I was off Thursday – even planned my shopping/cooking/cleaning around it – and left for work as usual.


When I got there, I stuck my tea in the fridge and filled my water bottle, then checked my email and schedule.


Sure enough, Thursday’s day off is NEXT week and I was indeed off today.


I turned around and went home, probably much to the confusion of the folks I see every day.


No harm, no foul, though. It would have been much worse if I hadn’t shown up on a day I’m supposed to work.


The walks are routine for me, and again, this just absolutely shocks locals. It’s really not that far, I don’t guess – maybe two miles or something – and I do get sweaty, but oh well.


Today I was wearing jeans, which is usually pretty bad but I wear Chacos, not shoes, with them so it kind of evens it out. They’re ready for the laundry, though. It’s that time.


Anyway, I’m taking a pit stop to even out my body temp before going back out to the grocery store, since I had on Saturday bought enough food to last until Thursday. If I don’t have enough potatoes for hash browns in the morning, bad things might happen. Not as bad as if I have no Buta for tea, but pretty bad.


As it is, my entire list consists of an onion, 2 carrots, oil, garlic, Pepsi and chips. The fake M&Ms are an automatic, and on Saturday, the juices were on sale so I’ll check that. The blueberry is awesome.


When I head out again, I wonder if the sleeper will still be there.


Sleeping people are a phenomenon here. I don’t understand it, really. I mean, yes, I sleep, but here it’s … well, bizarre sometimes.


I credit these people. I’ll be walking along, and I’ll come across someone -- somehow I can’t quite fathom – stretched out on a motorcycle, completely zonked. My name not being Grace, I can’t figure out how they do it, but people will randomly be sacked out here and there.


In Morocco, I’d see people sleeping in donkey carts in the afternoon, but it goes way beyond that here. People sleep around. They’re on the sidewalks and overpasses and in the hedges.


Once, a block away from work, I ran across a guy completely spread-eagled on his back, sleeping in the middle of the sidewalk. A living chalk outline. It took awhile to figure out he really was alive.


I’ve no idea how they do it. It’s over 100 degrees outside, humid as anything most days and it’s freaking LOUD. The traffic absolutely never ends, with honking, revving of engines and the occasional crash boom bam.


Yet these guys – and, except for the mom and daughter on my overpass, they’re all guys – never budge or blink.


Today’s fella was in my overpass, completely zonked. He was using a bag of possessions as a cushion, but usually the heavy nappers just lean back and start sawing logs. Both directions, he was out.


I cross through several little motorcycle gathering spots, and one’s in a shady spot at the end of my street (other end from the monkey). Invariably, there will be several drivers completely gone, lying on the concrete under the trees. I’ve no idea what the polite thing would be to do if I actually wanted a driver to take me somewhere – it seems like it’d be rude to wake someone from dead sleep. I know I’d hate it.


In Florida news, Wendy and Karma rocked the house at the Tallahassee fairgrounds rodeo. Here they are, complete with bling.



Congratulations!


And a big shout-out to Steph, who’s flying Robin’s coop and leaving the DoO hanging dry. Yay! She's definitely NOT the dumbass.


No comments: