Thursday, April 18, 2013

The days get longer in what, nine weeks?


I’ve informed people that if I complain about mud, they are to bitch-slap me upside the head. Mud will be such a welcome sight after this snow that I (not anyone else) have no place to whine about it.

This is just insane.

Yesterday, I was at an annual conference for communicators and the guy who introduced it said, “Welcome to the winter conference.” I didn’t even get that it was a joke.

Winter has been eternal. I’m just tired of it, but I think we might be turning a corner.

Last week, we got 11 inches of snow. It held off Saturday for the fund-raiser but snowed all day Sunday and Monday. Monday morning, even though we’d only gotten seven inches officially by that time, it was above my knees in my driveway.

There was no way I could have gotten out. I shoveled for a half an hour and managed to get out of my front door (waist-high drifts) but walked to work, taking a chance that the Monday meeting would be canceled, which it was.

Later in the day, Steve came by with the Bobcat and liberated my garage. I moved the dregs when I got home and holy cow, spring snow is heavy.

All the clearing of snow at Hope Village has gone to naught. It’s everywhere again. We have yet to be able to put up the dining tent (not that the kitchen trailer is here anyway) and the teams arriving tomorrow will be sleeping elsewhere.

We have no running water just yet and there’s still a ton of snow (and mud, not that I’m complaining about that one) everywhere.

It is getting so very old.

And, just think, it’s April 20. In two months and one day, summer arrives and the days start getting shorter.

Up until now, my winter in Morocco was the coldest I’ve spent but this one obliterates that. At least as of April 1, I no longer think, “Sheesh, last year at this time, I was in Indonesia!”

Tomorrow, I’m headed to DC, which should be a nice change of pace weather-wise. It’s find of funny because Laurie texted me about the weather and how it’s so much colder than Orlando. But even in the 50s, it’s still a good 20 degrees warmer than I am.

Hopefully, though, once I get back the warming trend will take off.

In the meantime, though, the snow is coming down again and I’ve hunkered down for the evening. I really had planned on going out tonight but I hadn’t planned on lugging tools for two hours so I’m kind of whipped, not to mention doing laundry.

Last night, I ran out and tried to get Jason Bourne movie I was missing at the used DVD store. I thought I picked up the right one for my collection at the pawn shop the other day but got home and realized it was one I’d already had.

So, faced with nothing to watch (Netflix service takes a week here, so I’m between movies), I caved and bought season one of “The Dukes of Hazzard.”

Five bucks well spent. God bless Waylon Jennings. Every show needs a balladeer as good as him.

I still remember that Enos, or Sonny Shroyer anyway, is an FSU alum.

What a fun drive down memory lane. In the words of Rosco P. Coletrane, “I love it, I love it!”

No comments: