Monday, August 13, 2012

What’s in a Name?

I finally got around to painting a sign for my RV.

Almost everything here as a name. This tradition predates me, but I think it’s cute so I said early on that I needed one for my little abode. I got the wood for it a few weeks ago but lacked the time to do it.

Most of the stuff is either named for something Biblical or something local and up until now I had intended to call my place “the bled” because it’s Arabic for “country” and I am the last house on the road. 

But I changed my mind late in the game – after my first draft – and figured it might not translate well to this community. First, I’d have to explain it to everyone, which gets kind of tiresome, and second, the fact it’s in Arabic might be a little offensive to some.

So, after painting over “BLED” in red paint, I took a look at the other colors I had to work with, saw yellow and figured I’d go with the Nole.

My home-for-now has a “This is Seminole Territory” sign out front now with as close to garnet and gold as I could get.

I like it.

I also did Ashton one that says “Minot AFB” and filled in the blank next to “Why Not Minot?” with the rest of the air force mantra “Freezin’s the Reason.” (Although, now that I think about it, I think I left out the “’s.” Considering that I first misspelled it “freezen’,” though, I’m not all that concerned about it.

Shortly thereafter, I pulled photos of all the signs I had taken around thus far and posted them to our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.273947246047031.57431.181740875267669&type=3).

Immediately after I did that, someone posted where was the sign of one particular bunkhouse? I’d missed it, so I took the camera back out and shot about five more photos, including the one with the sign on my car, and updated the album.

Facebook is fast, that’s for sure. I totally detest it, but I’m forced to update three different sites now, plus our regular web site.

That one, www.hopevillagend.org, has been revamped incredibly since I started working on it. I spent what seemed like an entire day uploading photos, which are here: http://www.hopevillagend.org/campus-photos/. I also added links to all the media I could find, which also took a month of Sundays.

Anyway I am now doing the bulk of the work for the Hope Village FB site and what I can on two others. And I am doing all the work for the regular site.

So, in addition to painting and uploading stuff this weekend, I took a time out to update my resume. At the rate I am going, this entry is going to be longer than PC’s, and I’m still only two months into a 12-month tour.

No comments: